Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In the Rumor Mill Again

July 5, 2011  Vivian napping today

Vivian had a good night, and there was talk in this morning's rounds about extubating her tomorrow.  We'll see if everything holds.  Her temperature has come down to about 37.7 degrees C.  They are going to give her steroids to help the swelling go down in her throat since she has had the breathing vent for so long.

She has had two pressure trials today to test her breathing and she has done well.  Vivian is showing by different indicators that she will handle being off the breathing vent and going to a nose canula with oxygen.  We learned that a child can be breathing adequately on the vent but not do well if off due to heavy meds, etc.  So, that's what they are preparing and testing Vivian to make sure she will pick up the work of breathing on her own and not be "lazy" or tired.  I'm a little nervous, but the staff said she is doing well.
That's all for now.


  1. Hi Ken, Keri and Vivian,
    We are following Vivian's progress from St Louis and glad to hear things are still going well. I know it is a long road, but we are happy for every step forward. We're thinking of you all! Swenzinskis

  2. Keri, I know it is so hard to have all this take so long. But she was so long with her owie heart and now she is being healed. She looks so precious I know you can't wait to hold her again. Praying it will be soon and you can all be at home again.